Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can a cosigner on a student loan (who's paid a small portion…

Can a cosigner on a...
Can a cosigner on a student loan (who's paid a small portion of interest) use the primary borrower's 1098E to take a student loan interest deduction if the primary borrower isn't using it?
3/13/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

--------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not me. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still writing...

You can claim the deduction if all of the following apply:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2017;
  • You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan;
  • Your filing status isn't married filing separately;
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount which is set annually; and
  • You or your spouse, if filing jointly, can't be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant