Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in Kansas, but I am an Alaskan Resident by Law (ID…

I live in Kansas...

I live in Kansas, but I am an Alaskan Resident by Law (ID and vehicle tags are Alaskan); do I have to pay Kansas state tax?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I haven't reaped any benefits from Kansas since I've been in the state

3/13/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Do you work in Kansas? If so you are required to file a Kansas return.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Kansas, work in Missouri.

You live in Kansas and work in MO.

You must file as a Kansas resident and report all income to Kansas, regardless of where it was earned. If the other state requires an income tax return to be filed, you must complete the worksheet in the Kansas tax booklet to determine your credit for taxes paid to other states. Be sure to include a copy of the other state's return with your Kansas return. Copies of the other state's W-2 forms alone are not acceptable. If the other state does not require an income tax return, you cannot claim a credit on the Kansas return.

You file a MO return as non resident.

I know what you said about being an Alaska resident but if you have been living in Kansas you are a tax resident.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4