Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am wondering if i should claim 0 on my W4 instead of the 4…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if i should claim 0 on my W4 instead of the 4 I have been claiming to still not have to payback at the end of the year.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I currently claim 4 allowances on my W4. I make $132,000 a year with $162500 bonus. with the new tax laws in effect this year, i was wondering if i should i change to 0 allowances

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

My spouse teaches at a gym where she is a contractor and they do not take out taxes. She makes about $4000 a year. I contribute about $7800 to 401K. and all health insurance comes out of my paycheck pretaxed

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2018
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question. I would lower your allowances. You can always change your allowances during the year. Since your wife is a contractor, she is taxed at the self-employment rate of about a little over 15% + your regular income tax rate.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry, i meant my bonus is $16,250 not $162,500. Does that make a difference in your response?

Hi. What I would do is fill out your return for 2017 and see if you owed anything. If you did not and your circumstances have not changes (salary-wise, etc.), then I would keep the allowances the same. However, if you owe on your return, I would lower the allowances by at least half.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group