Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

A blind individual with memory issues resides in an assisted…

A blind individual with memory...
A blind individual with memory issues resides in an assisted living facility who requires constant medical attention and periodically has to hire an aide for his care. Is the cost of the aide tax deductible as a medical expense?
3/13/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If the aide is providing services that are necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, curing, treating, mitigating, rehabilitative services, and maintenance and personal care services that are:

Maintenance or personal care services is care which has as its primary purpose the providing of a chronically ill individual with needed assistance with his or her disabilities (including protection from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment).

1. Required by a chronically ill individual, and

2. Provided pursuant to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care practitioner.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!