Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I owe back taxes from 2012 according to the IRS. They

requested information from me back...
I owe back taxes from 2012 according to the IRS. They requested information from me back in 2014, I provided the info. they requested but still. They intercept my federal and state refunds. I started with a balance owed to the IRS of $9046. Approx and my balance as of last week was $1800.approx. can I submit an offer in compromise in regards ***** ***** remaining balance? because I know the 2012 tax liability is wrong.
3/13/2018
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Yes, you can submit an Offer in Compromise based upon doubt as to Liability. You prepare and submit a Collection Information Statement (Form 433-A) along with Form 656-L. Here is a link to the package:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f656l_accessible.pdf

The IRS is notorious for "losing" your proof of compliance when they claim you owe them money. When you submit your offer in compromise make sure you send it "signature required" and make sure you call the Offer in Compromise Unit that you send it to and make personal contact with them.

And even though you "know" that the 2012 tax liability is wrong, this is a perfect example of one of my favorite movie lines: "It's not what you know, Clyde, it's what you can prove in court."

Dealing with the IRS is all about proof. You have to show them things. So make sure that your records, documentation, etc., correctly support your position.

Hope that answered your question. If so please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Thank u and what kind of proof !? I have sealed transcripts and 1098t from the school but my bank said it was too late for them to provide me with a check copy.

Well, whatever evidence in existence that would tend to indicate you paid the tuition; I assume that's what the dispute is about.

First, I'd check with the school. They usually keep pretty good records on money they receive.

Even if the bank can't give you a check copy, they must be able to provide you with statements that will show the payment(s).

You may even have proof of payment for books and supplies; you should include a copy of the school's tuition payment policy that says you cannot finished the class if your tuition isn't paid by a certain date.

What the IRS looks for is "substantiation." Anything that will tend to support your position.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney