Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My tax refund was rejected by the IRS because my daughter's…

Customer Question
My tax refund was...

My tax refund was rejected by the IRS because my daughter's SS# ***** used on another tax refund. She got married on Dec. 23, 2017. Is there a way that I claim her as a dependent along with her tuition and college expenses?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My daughter's husband said he filed his taxes as married filed separately. I don't know if that is important or not.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Because her husband filed as MFS - married filing separately - he provided wife's name and SSN in order tp e-file - that made her SSN "used" - and you will NOT be able to e-file.

However - you may still claim your daughter as a dependent.

In order to do that - you will need to print and file your tax return by mail.

.

Also - I suggest to verify if her spouse did not accidentally filed a joint tax return.

You may request your daughter's tax return transcript - and verify if information is correct.

Let me know if you need any further help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.