How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 34315
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a Canadian resident alien doing my PhD in the US. I got

Customer Question

I'm a Canadian resident alien doing my PhD in the US. I got a four-month fellowship to spend 4 months in Sydney (12k stipend, 2k relocation, 3k for flight to australia). The fellowship is non-taxable in Australia, do I need to report it on my US taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

If you are filing your US tax return as a nonresident alien - then - your Australian fellowship is not taxable.

If however - you are filing the US tax return as a resident alien - then you will include all your worldwide income - but will be allowed deduct travel expenses related to this trip on your 2017 tax return.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll be a filing as a resident alien. How do I deduct travel expenses related to this trip? And what all can I deduct? Is it just the flight or can I also deduct living expenses (that were much more expensive in Sydney than they would be in the US).
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

Taxable fellowship is reported as wages on form 1040 line 7.

When you have business related travel - that is reported on form 2106.

You will be able to deduct flight tickets.

Per Diem in Sydney is $157 - that is for meal

In additional dwelling as per receipts.

Please be aware that deduction will NOT be available in 2018.

Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.