Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm a Canadian resident alien doing my PhD in the US. I got…

Customer Question
I'm a Canadian resident...

I'm a Canadian resident alien doing my PhD in the US. I got a four-month fellowship to spend 4 months in Sydney (12k stipend, 2k relocation, 3k for flight to australia). The fellowship is non-taxable in Australia, do I need to report it on my US taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you are filing your US tax return as a nonresident alien - then - your Australian fellowship is not taxable.

If however - you are filing the US tax return as a resident alien - then you will include all your worldwide income - but will be allowed deduct travel expenses related to this trip on your 2017 tax return.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

I'll be a filing as a resident alien. How do I deduct travel expenses related to this trip? And what all can I deduct? Is it just the flight or can I also deduct living expenses (that were much more expensive in Sydney than they would be in the US).

Taxable fellowship is reported as wages on form 1040 line 7.

When you have business related travel - that is reported on form 2106.

You will be able to deduct flight tickets.

Per Diem in Sydney is $157 - that is for meal

https://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem_action.asp?MenuHide=1&CountryCode=1118

In additional dwelling as per receipts.

Please be aware that deduction will NOT be available in 2018.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.