Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In a decedent's estate, when selecting the estate's fiscal…

In a decedent's estate, when...
In a decedent's estate, when selecting the estate's fiscal year, if the first year selected has no taxable income or expense, must that return be filed? Then there would be a second year return containing the entirety of the estate's transactions. In other words, is there a filing threshold for a form 1041 such that we would file no return for the first "stub' year and a full return for the second year, which would also be the final year.
3/12/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

In brief, the form 1041 is required to file if the estate has income of $600 or more during the tax year. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------

Who Must File Decedent's Estate The fiduciary (or one of the joint fiduciaries) must file Form 1041 for a domestic estate that has:

1. Gross income for the tax year of $600 or more, or

2. A beneficiary who is a nonresident alien. An estate is a domestic estate if it isn't a foreign estate. A foreign estate is one the income of which is from sources outside the United States that isn't effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business and isn't includible in gross income. If you are the fiduciary of a foreign estate, file Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, instead of Form 1041.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdf

Page 4 of form 1041 instructions

------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You didn't read my question. It had to do with the choice of fiscal year for a decedent's estate. I know what a 1041 is. Please read it and reply.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

See instructions - page 9 -

Accounting Periods
For a decedent's estate, the moment of death determines the end of the decedent's tax year and the beginning of the estate's tax year. As executor or administrator, you choose the estate's tax period when you file its first income tax return.

The estate's first tax year may be any period of 12 months or less that ends on the last day of a month.

If you select the last day of any month other than December, you are adopting a fiscal tax year.

.

So far - it is clear that tax period is NOT necessary elected for the first tax year - but when the first tax return is filed.

Thus if the estate doesn't file teh tax return for the first year - and files teh first tax return for the second year only - that election is made on THAT tax return.

.

See also - exemptions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1128.pdf

Do not file Form 1128 in the following circumstances.

Estates -- An estate adopting its first tax year.

.

That actually means if the tax year is adopted for the second tax year because the tax return was not required for the first tax year - form 1128 is needed.

Let me know if that helps.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor