Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What are the implications of functioning as a church without…

What are the implications...

What are the implications of functioning as a church without an approved 501 (c)(3) approval but still providing for tax exempt giving?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We cannot locate an IRS authorization for our church and suspect it may not have been obtained, although we do have an EIN

3/12/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Churches that meet the requirements of IRC Section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt and are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS.

Your church may not have taken that non required step. There would not be any implications for the church.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4