Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I prepare taxes for my family and the last one I did I had…

Customer Question
I prepare taxes for...

I prepare taxes for my family and the last one I did I had to resubmit again so then it made me filing more than 5 returns. I need to submit this return but it saids that I have exceeded the amount i can submit. The money was already took out of my account twice. But it wont accept the return. i know I need an EFIN but i don't have time to get one. Help please

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't think so. Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 4 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

The IRS limits commercial software for private individuals to five returns. Different software companies handle this in different ways, but usually it's based upon how many returns you create, not how many you submit. If a return is rejected and has to be resubmitted, that should still only count as one return. It sounds like perhaps your software is charging you an e-filing fee and you've exceeded the number of e-files that you paid for.

If you don't have time to apply for and obtain an EFIN (can take up to 45 days), your options are somewhat limited. There's no guarantee, but some taxpayers with more than five returns to file have had some success by purchasing a different software program and downloading it on a different computer terminal using a different email address. Most of the providers track these submissions by the email address associated with the account. I've seen where a taxpayer submitted five returns using H&R Block software, then purchased TurboTax and submitted several more returns. However, I do not have the details such as whether different terminals/emails were used.

Alternatively, you would just have to file a paper return. You can create as many returns as you like using your commercial software; you just can't efile more than five of them.

If you haven't filed five different tax returns that have been accepted, you should call your software provider.

Hope that helped. If you have more questions or would like to add more info, please do so. You can return here any time with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.