Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a widow. I inherited my husband's pension from 20 years…

Customer Question
I am a widow...

I am a widow. I inherited my husband's pension from 20 years working at a private NYS college.. Since he would have been 70-1/2 in 2017, I received the first RMD. Is the first $20 NYS tax exempt?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2018
Tax Professional: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Question:

Response: I am assuming that you meant the $20,000.00 tax exemption. The answer is yes. See pages 13 and 14 of NYS Tax Publication 36 for more information.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.