Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I earned a bonus in 2017 from a company I left on 12/31/17.

I earned a bonus...

I earned a bonus in 2017 from a company I left on 12/31/17. They are going to pay the bonus in 2018. Should this be on a 1099 or w-2?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The bonus was part of my compensation for 2017, but paid out after the financial audit was approved. They are ready to pay, but think it needs to be on a 1099 as I am not currently employed by them.

3/12/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

An employer-employee relationship existed when the bonus was "earned," so the bonus is work-related, taxable and reportable on a W-2.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

would this be on a 2017 W-2 or 2018 W-2 since that is when it is being paid?

It should be on a 2018 W-2, so you will file it with your 2018 tax return early next year.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!