Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We adopted a US Special Needs Child out of care at the end…

We adopted a US...

We adopted a US Special Needs Child out of Foster care at the end of 2013. For MO state taxes I did not realize I could claim a credit. Can I claim that adoption credit now, or do I need to amend my 2013 MO state taxes? Thanks.

3/12/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Like federal the state of MO has a time limit for issuing refunds. The Department has the duty to refund any overpayment of income tax due. If you believe you are due a refund, you may file an amended return and request a refund, provided you file the amended return within three years of the filing of the original return.

The state would not be obligated to issue the refund for a 2013 amended return.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thank you

Hello, just checking back to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4