Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How are fair market value determined on vacant land sold.

How are fair market...

How are fair market value determined on vacant land sold

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Land was inherited in 1979 and sold in 2017. The tax statement for 1979 has a market value of 1698 and assessed value of 1600 is either of these considered fair market value?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there

The market value is likely a fair assessment.

...

Sometimes these assessments are only done every so often, however.

...

(and sometimes there are exceptions from re-appraisal)

...

YOU can always look at land sales at that time in the same area for similar use land and/or talk to real estate professionals and appraisers.

...

BU if you aren't trying to justify a higher basis (your basis would be stepped up to the fair market value of the property on the date of death) IRS will accept the taxing authority's assessment of Fair Market Value

When asked on the tax return for a fair market value would i use the market value on the tax statement of 1698?

Yes, if date of death was 1979 (looks like that's the case)

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS