Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a 1099-LTC for my mother in Assisted Living. Box 1 =

I have a 1099-LTC...

I have a 1099-LTC for my mother in Assisted Living. Box 1 = $27120, Box 2 = $0, Box 3 has an X in Reimbursed Amount, No other boxes have any other entries. Do I need to include Box 1 on Line 17 of Form 8853 Pg2?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No other info for Qualified on not, except the Qualified Contract Box in NOT checked.

3/12/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

No that amount would not be listed there because the PerDiem box is not checked. That amount is listed on line 24.

If your mother's costs for care were more than or equal to the amount none will be taxable to her.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good to hear. Her policy has a cap'ed daily reimbursed amount, which her expenses exceeded (expenses were more than the reimbursed amount). Do I need to deal with those expenses in some way? On Sched A as a Medical Deduction?

Yes the overage amount paid can be listed as a medical expense.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4