Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do SEP contributions the 25% rule come from just w-2 income…

Do SEP contributions the 25%...
Do SEP contributions the 25% rule come from just w-2 income or from both w-2 and K-1 income.
I have 80k from K-1 and 48k in w-2
3/12/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

--------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not me. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still writing...

In brief, for the purposes of the SEP contributions, compensation depends on how the person is categorized. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------

Eligible Compensation

For common-law employees, compensation is based on W-2 wages. Compensation for sole proprietors is based on Schedule C income and, for partners in a partnership, Schedule K-1 income. An employee's compensation in excess of $275,000 may not be considered for the purposes of making a SEP contribution.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.investopedia.com/university/retirementplans/sepira/sepira1.asp

--------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

As you receive both K-1 and W2 compensation, the 25% applies to both.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can total the 2 and multiply by 25% to the figure I can contribute?
Also can I do half from the company and match it personally for the other half?I have a sub S

Q1: So I can total the 2 and multiply by 25% to the figure I can contribute?

A1: Yes.

------------------------------

I will check on the matching capability. I will get back to you shortly.

Regarding an S corp, the following applies;

Contributions to a Self-Employed Plan
You can’t make contributions to a self-employed retirement plan from your S corporation distributions. Although, as an S corporation shareholder, you receive distributions similar to distributions that a partner receives from a partnership, your shareholder distributions aren’t earned income for retirement plan purposes (see IRC Section 1402(a)(2)). Therefore, you also can’t establish a self-employed retirement plan for yourself solely based on being an S corporation shareholder.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plan-faqs-regarding-contributions-s-corporation

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant