Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am about to start working for a company based in the UK.

Hello, I am about...

Hello, I am about to start working for a company based in the UK. They do work in the US as well as many other countries. I will be working in the US as a contractor for them for the foreseeable future. Do I need to open a business account and how do I file my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The company mentioned that I would be paying for expenses on my credit card but that they would reimburse every month

3/12/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will be considered self employed for US tax purposes. You can report your income and expenses on Schedule C of your personal 1040.

You would not have to open a business account if you are a sole proprietor.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Would opening a business account and business entity have any more tax benefits than just using my personal account to receive the income?Regards,
Michael Abarca

No, but it would keep your business income and expenses separate from your personal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!