Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is stay ina nursing home for rehab tax deductible? Missouri,

Customer Question
Is stay ina nursing...

Is stay ina nursing home for rehab tax deductible?

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes but cant I file an amended return if it is tax deductible?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

That depends on what care is given and what type of rehab. The IRS looks at that like nursing home costs.

You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care.

Don't include the cost of meals and lodging if the reason for being in the home is personal. You can, however, include in medical expenses the part of the cost that is for medical or nursing care.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Hi, just checking to see if you responded yet.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4