Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Does retired farmer who materially participate in the

operation of the business have...
does retired farmer who materially participate in the operation of the business have to pay self employment tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you're engaged in farming and are not an employee, you're usually considered self-employed and may owe self-employment tax on your net earnings. Yes, your income from farming that you report on Schedule F (Form 1040) includes, but isn't limited to amounts you receive from cultivating the soil, raising or harvesting any agricultural commodities, or managing a farm for gain or profit either as owner or as tenant is subject to SE tax.

If you are retired form farming and receive only pension then no. Materially participating would indicate not retired and still owner and working.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

i'm filing tax return for my father. He is deceased as 2-11-2018 and cannot sign tax return do I sign the tax return for him as executor of his estate

You would sign the return as "personal representative"

Please accept my condolences.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4