Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have investment expense for 2017 and I have completed form…

I have investment expense for...
I have investment expense for 2017 and I have completed form 4952 but how do I reconcile my 4952 amount with the numbers I have on schedule D? How do I deduct the investment expense?
3/12/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

I will stand by

Investment expenses reported on Form 4952 are separate items which are not reported on Schedule D.

___

Schedule D is used to determine capital gains from the sale or disposition of property or other investments reported on 1099B.

Please let me know your follow up questions.

The purpose of Form 4952 is to "figure the amount of investment interest expense you can deduct for the current year and the amount you can carry forward to future years. "

Investment interest expense is not commission. Commission is figured into the cost basis of the stock or property.

my final amount on form 4952 is my capital gain. That amount is my 2017 capital gain minus investment interest.

The final amount from line 8 is "Investment interest expense deduction." --- Which is not included in the calculation for capital gains.

That number goes on line 14 of Schedule A--"Investment interest. Attach Form 4952 i"

Got it, thanks

Here is a link to Schedule A for your convenience.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®