Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to know if i file my taxes for 2017? I am an

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know if i file my taxes for 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am an international college student from pakistan. I did a job on campus for 3 months in 2017, at seattle pacific univerisity

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I need to talk to an accountant

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didnt get a W2 as there was a treaty with Pakistan. but did get a 1098-T from the school. I dont know what to do about it. I used sprintax and turbotax and sprintax said i dont have to file a tax or something and turbotax said i got a lifetime educational credit of $1000, what am i supposed to do? nothing? send something to IRS?
3/11/2018
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! I need help! I dont know what to do!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you please help me?

Please give me a few moments to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay! :)

Under the US-Pakistan income tax treaty, you are allowed to earn up to $5000 per year as a student. Therefore if you earned less than $5,000, you are not required to file a tax return.

However, if you did pay tuition (i.e., you did not have full scholarship offset for tuition) then you are still eligible for the American Opportunity Tax Credit.

If you have a US Social Security Number you can file a tax return.

So if you file a tax return, you will show no income, and you will enter the information for the education tax credit. This will force Form 8863 to print, and you will receive a $1000 tax credit.

I hope this answers your question. IF you have any more please feel free to ask and I Will be happy to answer.

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How to do file a tax return? Who do i mail it to?

You can file it electronically if you have TurboTax.

Otherwise the address you mail it to depends on where you are living.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in seattle pacific University, Seattle WA. How do i know where to send it?
i will try using Turbotax

IF you decide to mail it in, as a resident of Oregon, you would mail it to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA ###-##-####/p>

taxmanrog
taxmanrog