Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Its my son was in collage in the spring but did not go back…

Ok. its long my...

Ok. its long my son was in collage in the spring but did not go back in the fall he is 20 lives with me. He got a job in august and made over $11,000 for 2017. I was told that I could still claim head of house hold & claim him as a dependent. Is this true?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I need to know how to account for his payroll since there was no place to put his W2 in

3/11/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.
For you to be head of household and claim him as a dependent, he needs to be a qualifying child.
Since he is over 19, he would need to be a full time student at the end of the year to qualify.
Since he was not a full time student at the end of the year, he is not a qualifying child.
The other way is a qualifying relative. Since he made more than $4050, he is not that either.
Since he is not a qualifying child or relative, you cannot be head of household and you cannot claim him as a dependent.
Sorry it's not better news. If you need anything else, just let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!
TY! That is what I thought but the online tax service I'm using is telling me different. I appreciate the time!
No problem. If anything else comes up just let me know. If not, please leave a rating so I get credit for helping you out. Thanks!
Carter McBride