Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I recieved inheritance income from sales of my mothers home…

I recieved inheritance income...

I recieved inheritance income from sales of my mothers home in Puerto Rico for 44K and paid taxes of 6500. I recieved a form 480.6C form. How do I enter it in my tax return and would I have to file a tax return in Puerto Rico

3/11/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unless the foreign inheritance was over $100,000, then no US income tax reporting or filing requirement is necessary.

Inherited money is not considered taxable income and is not reported on your tax return or to the IRS.

The amount that was withheld by Puerto Rico is for non-residents.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3742369-where-do-i-report-form-480-6c-from-puerto-rico-for-money-i-inherited-from-sold-property

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent