Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Want to know i owe little over 5000.00 if i pay with

Want to know i...

Want to know i owe little over 5000.00 if i pay with payments how much interest and penalitys?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more can i say

3/11/2018
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

As long as you file your return, the penalty and interest are computed monthly based upon the unpaid balance of the tax due. The underpayment penalty is 1/2 of 1% a month plus interest at the current annual rate of 4%. So, based upon $5,000., the first month's penalty & interest would approximate $25. for failure to pay & $16.67 interest for a total of $41.67 for the first month. The penalty & interest would continue at that amount reduced by the same rate on any installment payments you make.

For example, if you made $500. installment payments, then the penalty would be reduced by $2.50 and the interest by $1.67 for each $500. payment. So, you would reduce the $41.67 by $4.17 for each $500. payment.

Let me know if I can further assist you.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert