Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was a tax preparer for many years and have what I believe…

Hi there - I...

Hi there - I was a tax preparer for many years and have what I believe to be a fairly easy question...

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My son is a FT student at college but we already filed and claimed him as a dependent, appropriately. He's filing his own return and is stating that he needs my SSN and AGI to file, even if he isn't claiming himself. I'm uncomfortable providing my SSN as we've had a number of reasons to protect ourselves financially. Is SSN and AGI required for him to file?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't believe so. My sons says he's using TurboTax and it won't let him file until I give him my SSN. I haven't known that to be true and wanted to verify with someone. Thank you -

3/11/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter and I'm a CPA.
He actually may. It sounds like he needs to file Form 8615 for the kiddie tax. That form requires your SSN and taxable income. You may want to work with him to see if he actually needs to file the form.
Let me know if you need anything else. If not please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride
HI Carter, thanks for your reply. I need to walk through the schedule with my son. To be honest, he has not been trustworthy with our financial information and I’m not sure why he needs to report unearned income except by virtue of his scholarship, which should be non-taxable as it’s a state-level award. If you have any other thoughts please share. Thanks again-