Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Are F1 Student visa kids living under my roof considered…

Are F1 Student visa...

Are F1 Student visa kids living under my roof considered dependents?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a family living with me that are here on a student visa.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

They are not my children

3/11/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You generally cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

Foreign students brought to this country under a qualified international education exchange program and placed in American homes for a temporary period generally are not U.S. residents and do not meet the requirement.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is my daughter, and she is not allowed to work but I am providing for her family, does that make a difference?

Is she a US citizen or resident?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a resident and she is here on an F1 visa with my grand daughter.

If she is not a US citizen or resident, no. You cannot claim her.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent