Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Taxpayer has a single member S Corp. He pays himself

Taxpayer has a single...

Taxpayer has a single member S Corp. He pays himself $120,000 per year with all payroll taxes taken out.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How much can he contribute to his SEP?? Can he also contribute the $5500 to a deductible IRA since he does not have a plan at work? Sorry for hitting send before I had all of the question [email protected]!

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

His income from the K-1 (over and above the salary he pays himself) is $140,000.

3/11/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

For a shareholder employee off an S-Corp or C-Corp, compensation for this purpose (under both title 26 and ERISA) is W-2 wages.

...

For the SEP, his contribution is simply 25% of compensation

...

.25 x 120,000 = 30,000

...

And, so sorry, he can not deduct an IRA contribution, becasue the SEP (Simplified Employee Pension). even though housed in an IRA account, is still a workplace covered plan for this purpose.

...

He could contribute far more under a solo 401(k)

...

Where, although, compensation still must be based on wages, he'd have both the 18,000 salary deferral AND a 25% profit sharing contribution based on the 120,000

...

18000 + 30000 = 48,000

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Thanks for the quick response.

You're very welcome ... Thanks much or the rating