Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm still paying on my 2016 tax bill and I know I will owe…

I'm still paying on...

I'm still paying on my 2016 tax bill and I know I will owe again for 2017. Is it better to not file my 2017 returns until the 2016 is paid off?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I get 36,000.00 a year in spousal support, I'll end up owing around 2-3 grand and I can't afford the additional payments.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so.

3/11/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

No, it is not. If you owe for 2017 and you do not file you will be penalized not just for late payment but also for late filing. File all your returns on time even if you cannot pay the entire balance. You can still request an installment agreement and your chances of being approved are much higher when you are current with your filing. As a matter of fact, if you are not current with your filing, the IRS may cancel your prior installment agreements and demand immediate payment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You're welcome.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No Thank you.
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser