Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I am head of house hold and I have a qualifying

dependent, who I helped by...
If I am head of house hold and I have a qualifying dependent, who I helped by paying 30,000 in tuition cost and take the standard deduction, is there a way that I can get a tax deduction for paying the education cost?
3/11/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. Thank you for requesting my assistance. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not me. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still writing...

In brief, IF your MAGI is within the guidelines, and if you are not filing married filing separately based on what you have written, you can claim the education credit.

-------------------------------

To claim the full credit, your MAGI, modified adjusted gross income must be $80,000 or less ($160,000 or less for married taxpayers filing jointly). If your MAGI is over $80,000 but less than $90,000 (over $160,000 but less than $180,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly), the amount of your credit is reduced. If your MAGI is over $90,000 ($180,000 for married taxpayers filing joint), you can't claim the credit.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-questions-and-answers

Who Can Claim an Education Credit?

There are additional rules for each credit, but you must meet all three of the following for either credit:

1. You, your dependent or a third party pays qualified education expenses for higher education.
  2. An eligible student must be enrolled at an eligible educational institution.
  3. The eligible student is yourself, your spouse or a dependent you list on your tax return.

If you’re eligible to claim the lifetime learning credit and are also eligible to claim the American opportunity credit for the same student in the same year, you can choose to claim either credit, but not both. You can't claim the AOTC if you were a nonresident alien for any part of the tax year unless you elect to be treated as a resident alien for federal tax purposes. For more information about AOTC and foreign students, visit American Opportunity Tax Credit - Information for Foreign Students.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-benefits-for-education-information-center

-----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant