Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Should I spend 54000 dollars to pay for college or to invest…

Should I spend 54000 dollars...
Should I spend 54000 dollars to pay for college or to invest it all into dividend producing assets and use the dividends to pay off the student loans
3/11/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. It all depends upon the interest rate on the student loans and the rate of return you think you can earn on the $54,000. Typically, the higher the rate of return you would earn, the higher the risk you must take to earn that rate of return so you need to factor that in as well. But, if the student loan interest rate (which is going to be known) is higher than what you can earn on the $54,000, then you should use the $54,000 to pay for college; if the reverse is true....go the student loan route. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney