Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can the funds in an inheritance held in France, but not

Can the funds in...

Can the funds in an inheritance held in France, but not received yet, be used to pay French taxes to free the inheritance of tax burden

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I ask this question for a friend, non resident of France, residing in France now. I am a USA Citizen in NJ

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It is in the French court system and the judge in charge has a hold on the inheritance for taxes and to my knowledge all paperwork has been filed to claim ownership of the inheritance

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a fee for this service and questioning. A definite answer of where the tax funds come from the inheritance or outside source. Thank You !

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a smart phone (no app) however can respond via text message. I do not have any documentation. This is for my fiancée residing in France trying to get her inheritance clear of French tax.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The paperwork for stamp duty, wealth tax, ownership, and fees have been satisfied.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please email me I need to rest, thank you!
3/11/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

My research on this shows that in France the beneficiary responsible to pay the taxes on an inheritance.

The beneficiary receives the inheritance and then completes a Succession tax form and pays the inheritance tax that is due.

Generally, succession taxes are payable within six months from the date of death, at the latest. A beneficiary can apply to pay the tax in equal installments at maximum intervals of six months over a maximum period of one year. Interest is charged at the official rate of interest in place at the time the application is made. This rate remains unchanged for the total period of payment.

I hope this information is helpful to you and your friend.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In your findings is there a law stating what you describe and what could be done now that a judge has been attached to this case? Can it be dismissed in court to follow what the lawyer should have informed firstly? What recourse is there now that the judge is holding, residency, investment over her head to pay the tax first with outside funds before he releases the any of the inheritance?

I will be away from my computer for about an hour, but if you have any follow-up comments, please post them, and I will respond when I return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You ! We have been involved with this over 2 years, with fees of stamp duty, wealth tax paid and a holding charge from the Security Co.that harbors the funds. I think the lawyer has led her astray, giving answers and suggestions of staying there another 2 years to be a resident and invest in France. I think it's a crock. Her mom set aside funding but had to be used for health support till her death. She's alone there and the laws she has been told of are NOT like in the USA. Her debt is mounting there and mine too in help I provide. Thank you for ANY additional help you may have in support of this Mess we/she's in over there.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Again!!!!

I realize it may be expensive, but perhaps she should seek the advice of a different attorney in France. I don't know what her current attorney's motivation is except to increase his fees.

From what I've read, it should be a smooth process.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you ever so much for your return, I know you are limited your response. Thank you again!!!!!

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We need more people like you in this world, it surely would be a better place. They need to increase the stars to 100 in your case.!!!!!!!!!! I'd give you 101

I appreciate your kind words. You just made my day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are more than welcomed !!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have touch me in a way that a stranger has never done. And I thank you for giving me the time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you have a husband and or family they are blessed to have you.

I am happy that I could be of assistance in some way as I know how frustrating this must be for your friend and yourself because you are trying to help her.

I think it's just as easy to be pleasant and helpful as it is to not be.

I treat people the way I would want to be treated. I know--old school, but that's how I was brought up--actually in NJ, but I've been in FL since 1996. Would move back to NJ in a second if it wasn't for the cold and snow!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can agree with that, but as you, NJ is my home as hard as the weather and taxes it's still home. Old school is the best, ***** ***** I am glad we have touched in such little way but surely profound.

I agree!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please enjoy this day and ALL that follow. I will that's for certain !

You do the same!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My name is ***** ***** it has been wonderful chatting!

Thanks, Bill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you Barbara !!! !!!

This was a great way to start the day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am so glad I could be of assistance to you, even 1200 <> miles away.

Same here.

The power of the internet.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WOW !! !! I grew up when dial phones were new and only one the home or neighborhood. Then worked for NJ BELL now Verizon retired.

The GOOD OLD DAYS for sure!!!!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's good now too, look at the chat we've had. I has meaning, probably deeper than we realize.

Oh, we realize it. It's been like a breath of fresh air amidst the constant turmoil in the world.

Nice to escape every now and then....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again yes, and again thank you for our chat, the online friendship, and being there when you were needed. Wow, humans have more value then this world knows, when just kindness and the little things matter.

You're welcome.

I hope this issue is resolved for your friend sooner rather than later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Me too, and with your help that you forwarded me, maybe we will convince those who control to think rather than delay.

Good luck and let me know what happens...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will but I must cut off the site in 6 days. If however if you have my email we can exchange notes and update then. Can I text it to you?

We're not permitted to provide personal info except through the Premium Service Offer.

I have made the minimum offer. You can choose to accept or decline.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I knew you were Special, Thank you !

You're welcome.

Feel free to send me an email anytime.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Barbara. I will add you to my contacts. Wow, what a friend you are!!!!

I will do the same.

Talk to you later....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again, Be safe in all you do. Take care, Bill

You do the same, Bill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will, everyone must enjoy when you are in their midst Take care, Bill

Ha-ha!

I wouldn't go that far!

I can be tough as nails when I have to be, but the people who know me well know I am a marshmallow!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll put it like this you have an affect, and you may effect more then you realize, modesty is good it says you care.

You're really inflating my ego today! I might start believing it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's ego it your amazing persona!

Well, back to taxes for me.

It is tax season, you know!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is be on your lovely day and enjoy. Barbara, thank you for a great experience.

You're welcome!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent