Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I didn't work 2013-2016. In 2017 I was finally awarded

I didn't work 2013-2016...

I didn't work 2013-2016. In 2017 I was finally awarded disability but only for one year 2013. In 2017 I received one lump sum payment. I started working June 2017. Without the lump sum payment, my husband and I would be eligible for the EIC but with the lump payment we are just over the limit. This doesn't seem fair because the disability payment was for years ago. Is there a way to not include it in 2017 taxes or get it credited to the past year that it should have been if Social Security didn't take years?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't think so...

3/11/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Income received in 2017 must be reported on your 2017 tax return. You can allocate social security lump sum payment to prior years (if the lump sum includes payments from prior years) but the allocation will not remove the lump sum from your adjusted gross income or total income. The allocation worksheet helps you to figure out your tax as if the the income was received in prior year. For instance, if your benefits, if included on your 2013 tax return would not taxable, than the benefits will excluded from the taxable income but not from the total income or adjusted gross income.

Do you know if this is something I can do with a tax software or if it requires hiring a tax person?

Depending on tax software you are using. Some are more sophisticated than other. Generally the professional tax softwares used by CPAs or tax professionals can handle the allocation. What software are you using?

I've always used H&R Block, but I don't mind switching.

Navigate to social security screen, enter the information and look for allocation tab or link. HRBlock software is one of the better ones.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser