Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am divorced with joint custody of my child Brent who I…

I am divorced with...

I am divorced with joint custody of my child Brent who I claim on my taxes. He spends half the time at my house. He has behavioral and intellect disabilities and he is currently attending a lifeworks school that the town is paying for. Can I claim him as a disable child on my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No just the question

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

How old is your child?

child is now 18

Ok. Is he a full time student? Did his physician declared him as disabled?

full time student. yes he was declared that and he receives mass health insurance from state of massachisetts because of his disability

Than yes, you can claim him as your dependent.

even if i share custidy and i share cost of him living with me?
are there any forms that i need to fill out

Are you his custodial parent? How many nights he sleeps in your house? For tax purposes there's no such things as shared custody .

im his custodial parent he slept at my house last year for half the year

If you are his custodial parent than you can claim him as your dependent as long as he spend more than 6 month in your house.

ok thanks are there any forms i need to fill out?

The IRS does its own rules to determine who is and who is not a custodial parent. If he the child spend with you more than 6 month he is dependent for tax purposes. You do not need to fill out any special forms.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
ok thanks