Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

On the 1040A form how can i deduct state property tax (

On the 1040A form...

On the 1040A form how can i deduct state property tax (Washington State)?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

On the 1040A form how can i deduct Washington State's King County property tax?

3/10/2018
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Property taxes cannot be deducted on form 1040A. Taxes are an itemized deduction that have to be taken on Schedule A, form 1040.

You could only file Schedule A if the total of your itemized deductions on that schedule exceeds the standard deduction for your filing status.

The standard deduction amounts for 2017 are:

Filing status "single," $6,350.00;

Filing status "married filing jointly," $12700;

Filing status "head of household," $9,350.00.

This assumes you are under 65.

Deductions that can be taken on Schedule A include medical expenses, taxes, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, employee business expenses, and miscellaneous expenses such as investment expenses and gambling losses.

Hope that answers your question. If so please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my wife and I are both over 65
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thanks you answered my question.

In that case your standard deduction would be $12,700.00 + $1,250.00 + $1,250.00 = $15,200.00.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney