Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I report the sale of land at a loss on land contract…

How do I report...

How do I report the sale of land at a loss on land contract within a partnership? Please help!

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The land was sold at a $11,000 loss. I was sold on a land contract. The

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

This land was owned and sold by the partnership that has 15 members. How does the loss affect the tax reporting or at all.

3/11/2018
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

The partnership should issue you a Form K-1 of Form 1065. On the K-1, the long term capital loss will be listed. Based on the K-1, you then report on your personal tax form based on the instruction of K-1, line 9.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1065sk1.pdf

Usually, it is just one or two numbers you enter into your software.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Dr. Fiona Chen