Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm trying to determine how to file a NJ tax return for

Customer Question
I'm trying to determine...

I'm trying to determine how to file a NJ tax return for family. Brother took a job in Florida in late Nov of 2016. He and wife bought a house there and it is where they live. He has lived there the entire 2017. His wife stayed in NJ while daughter completed school and both came to FL in July for good, She did have her job in NJ until leaving. Their NJ home is paid for and will likely rent it out while they decide what todo with it. We just don't know how to file NJ----he's the primary earner and never worked or lived in NJ in 2017. She and daughter were only in NJ part year and they will all live in FL from here on. Help! :)

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. Move is not temporary---brother basically had to re-locate or lose the job and, since he's 5 years from retirement, they decided to head to where they would have retired to now rather than try to find work here at his late-career stage

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If during the entire tax year one spouse was a resident of New Jersey and the other a nonresident, the resident can file a separate New Jersey return, if required. The nonresident spouse also may have to file a nonresident return if income was received from a New Jersey source. Each filer calculates income and exemptions as if federal married, filing separate returns had been filed. The spouses have the option of filing a joint return, in which case their joint income would be taxed as if both were residents.

Because the husband was a nonresident of NJ for the ENTIRE year, the wife can file a separate NJ return. Because she was a part-year resident of NJ and NJ does not have a specific part year resident return, she will use the NJ resident form.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent