Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

There - I have a question that I hope is not too stupid....

Customer Question
Hi, there - I...

Hi, there - I have a question that I hope is not too stupid....

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am refinancing my house and the underwriters are reviewing my 2015 and 2016 tax returns. They are wondering where my Schedule D is that was referenced to by my tax preparer. What is a Schedule D?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The 2015 tax return had been amended due to late K-1s (they were all energy MLPs)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Schedule D (Form 1040) is used to report the following.

• The sale or exchange of a capital asset not reported on another form or schedule.
  • Gains from involuntary conversions (other than from casualty or theft) of capital assets not held for business or profit.
  • Capital gain distributions not reported directly on Form 1040 (or effectively connected capital gain distributions not reported directly on Form 1040NR).
  • Nonbusiness bad debts.

Did you contact your tax preparer to find out if you did not receive a complete copy of your tax return?

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I did contact him but since it is tax season, I don't know when I will hear from him, and I need to get my house refinanced asap. I had him email me complete copies of both years' returns, and I had a paper return for 2016 already as it was and they are identical. I don't see a document labeled "Schedule D" per se anywhere; am I missing something?

Check your 1040. Look on Line 13. If there's a number on that line, you should have a Schedule D.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.