Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had a stock that had several reverse splits and last year…

I had a stock...

I had a stock that had several reverse splits and last year it went to 0 shares. Do I need to report it as a 2017 taxable event or can I anytime in the future?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Not sure what other info to provide

3/10/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - you will need to report that as your shares became worthless.

That will be for your benefits if you have any basis in these shares - so that will generate a loss - which may offset other taxable income.

If it is a 30,000 loss and I have no stock gains is it just 3000 a year and I just keep carrying it over each year until it is used up?

Yes - that is correct capital losses may be used in full against other capital gains - and only up to $3000 may be used against other taxable income.

The rest will not be "lost" - but will carried over to the following year - and may be fully used against any capital gain you might have in that tax year... and so on...

Otherwise - it will be carried forward until fully used.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor