Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My 24 year old daughter did her taxes which she only earned…

Hi, My 24 year...

Hi, My 24 year old daughter did her taxes which she only earned about 520.00. can i claim her on my taxes too?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She is not a student; but had a baby about 6 months ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is your last name richard?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just answer yes or no please

Good afternoon. I'm sorry, but under the JustAnswer guidelines, I'm not allowed to provide personal information.

Good afternoon. You can't both claim her. But, given the facts, she's not going to owe any taxes whether or not she claims herself. So, your daughter should not claim herself; rather, you should claim her because you would be the only one to get a tax benefit from claiming her.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Understand.
Okay she already filed and got credit for her baby. So I guess I won't add her to my taxes. Someone had told me if your young adult lives with you and earns less than 4,000 you can claim them. I just wanted to make sure

You would be able to claim her as long as she doesn't claim herself. She should file an amended return so she can remove the claim for herself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She already received her return. Is that a big deal? I mean I won't claim her

It will not be a big deal and it won't impact her refund.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you so much Richard

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 4-star rating. I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time.

Richard, Tax Attorney