Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My income this year was EXACTLY the same as last year except…

Customer Question
My income this year...

My income this year was EXACTLY the same as last year except that I had $10,000 in medical bills and took $13,ooo from an annuity. And the guy who did my taxes said I have to pay $2,700 in additonal taxes (using standard deductions). Last year I got over $2,000 back. So it seems as if taking the $13k ;is costing me $5,000 in taxes. Can you explain?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No, that's the nut of my problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, your income increased by the $13,000 you withdrew from the annuity.

The $13,000 gets added to your other income for the year on which you have to pay taxes.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney