Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I just enter 0 for EIC for my 18 year old son's 1040EZ?

Can I just enter...

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don't want to try to figure out the EIC so can I safely just enter 0

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

My son only made 841.68 in 2017

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes

You qualify for the EITC as long as you were between the ages of 25 and 65 on Dec. 31 of the tax year, you earned income through work, and you met the income limits . He does not qualify for EIC any way unless he has a qualifying child and he cannot be a dependent of anyone else.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, ***** ***** should just leave combat pay election blank?

Yes if he was not in the military

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, ***** ***** see if I have any more questions before I rate you, thanks

Ok, do you have the tax table to see what his liability is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought when I get to the end of the 1040EZ, I will know if there is any taxes that he would owe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, his line 6 amount is 0, so I guess I am now supposed to look at a tax table?

You will see if he actually has any taxable income then that is used to look up the actual tax.

If he really only made $842 (rounded up) then he should have no tax and get all his withholding back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I enter 0 on line 10?

He has no tax on $0 income for line 6

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
health care, I have health insurance for him where I work, so I enter 0?

Just tick the box and leave the line blank

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I don't want to use direct deposit, can I just leave that area blank?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks a lot, can you help with state of Ohio tax return if I have any questions?

Yes

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4