Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is it possible to get a new social security number? If so…

Is it possible to get...
Is it possible to get a new social security number? If so how would I do it
3/10/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Social Security can assign a different number only if:

• Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;
  • More than one person is assigned or using the same number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;
  • There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

You have to apply for a new Social Security number at your local Social Security office.

The following link contains detailed information regarding what is required:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3789/can-i-change-my-social-security-number

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent