Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I don't have to file income tax anymore as I live on social…

Customer Question
I don't have to...

I don't have to file income tax anymore as I live on social security (it's under $17,000 /yr). However if my granddaughter wants to give me $700/monthly as a gift does that mean I would have to claim that as income and file taxes?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

The money from your granddaughter is a gift and does not have to be reported by you or her. The current rules regarding gifts is that a U.S. person can gift another person $15,000 without creating a taxable event, meaning, having to complete tax forms. Now, as the amount that your granddaughter wants to gift you is under the $15,000, she does not have to complete a Form 709 (Gift Tax Return), which she would have to do if the gift amount exceeds $15,000.

For more detailed information regarding gift taxes, you can refer to the IRS Pub 950.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.