Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I don't have to file income tax anymore as I live on social…

Customer Question
I don't have to...

I don't have to file income tax anymore as I live on social security (it's under $17,000 /yr). However if my granddaughter wants to give me $700/monthly as a gift does that mean I would have to claim that as income and file taxes?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

The money from your granddaughter is a gift and does not have to be reported by you or her. The current rules regarding gifts is that a U.S. person can gift another person $15,000 without creating a taxable event, meaning, having to complete tax forms. Now, as the amount that your granddaughter wants to gift you is under the $15,000, she does not have to complete a Form 709 (Gift Tax Return), which she would have to do if the gift amount exceeds $15,000.

For more detailed information regarding gift taxes, you can refer to the IRS Pub 950.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant