Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We have a child in her 1st year of college studying music…

We have a child...

We have a child in her 1st year of college studying music ed. What types of things can we claim for her taxes? We purchased textbooks, music lesson books, ear phones, ear plugs, a musician tune, Cork Grease for her flute, orchestra clothing and choral attire, etc. We also hired a piano accompanist for her vocal lessons that is required. She is a double major in flute and vocal. Also, can we claim travel expenses or hotel expenses we had for getting her off to college and return visits, etc.?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. Thank you.

3/10/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

OK. Thank you.

The following are not allowed as a tuition and expense deduction for education:

orchestra clothing and choral attire, as well as travel expenses or hotel expenses we had for getting her off to college and return visits

All the others you mentioned are allowed as qualified expenses.

OK. Thank you. Can you answer another question for me? If one is retired from one company and collecting pension, yet working full time for another company, what has to be claimed for pension received?

The full pension received is reported as income if that is what you mean.

You report the amount on the 1099R on your tax return as income.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Thank you so much, and yes I will do that.
Is there some way I can view this conversation again to refer to your answers when doing our taxes?

It i snot erased. It remains in your MY QUESTIONS

is not (so sorry)

OK. Thank you, Robin!

You are most welcome.

I have a few more questions regarding college expenses. Can we deduct application fees for colleges she applied to before making her decision about which college she was attending? Also, regarding supplies needed, what about correction fluid, paper clips, pens, book covers used for rental books, folders, paper, etc.? And what about postal services required for getting a book to her from home, etc.?

Even if you pay the following expenses to enroll or attend the school, the following are not qualified education expenses:

• Room and board
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses (including student health fees)
  • Transportation
  • Similar personal, living or family expenses
  • Postal costs
  • Application fee

The costs for correction fluid, paper clips, pens, book covers used for rental books, folders, paper, etc if required for the course not recommended but required.

OK. Thank you again! :)

You are most welcome