Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a resident in Florida receives a gift from a relative who…

If a resident in...

If a resident in Florida receives a gift from a relative who lives outside the USA, is the person in Florida liable for any tax? Is the donor, who is a non-resident, liable for any tax?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The gift is from a mother to her daughter

3/10/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Inheritances and gifts received from non US residents are not taxable to the recipients in the US.

If the gift or inheritance is over $100,000 then the recipient will need to complete an informational return to the IRS.

Q: Is the donor, who is a non-resident, liable for any tax?

A: The donor is not liable tax, merely for sending a US tax payer a gift from overseas.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®

Thank you for the rating.

Please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®