Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I claimed my unmarried, unemployed daughter and my grandson…

Second opinion] I claimed...

Second opinion] I claimed my unmarried, unemployed daughter and my grandson on my income taxes. They bot live with me 24-7, 365 days a year. The father of my grandson claimed him on his taxes this year. My taxes were rejected electronically. I was told I would receive my revenue anyway. But the father and I would both receive a letter from the irs. He would be made to return the money he received by claiming him illegally. What will the IRS do to him?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The father does not nor has ever paid child support, or provided for this child. My daughter and this man have never been married.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Sorry to hear and great question. Quick Question - who is the custodial parent?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He lives with my daughter at my house. There’s never been a reason for custody. They’ve never been married. He doesn’t pay child support. He does NOTHING!

Got it.

Here are the rules:

To be a dependent, a minor child must have lived with the taxpayer more than 1/2 the year -which has happened. This makes your grandchild your dependent, not the parents' dependent.

If you file first, all will be good.

If the father files first and claims the child, next time - you should claim your grandchild on your return and file by mail (do not efile). The tax department sorts it out as to who is entitled to the dependent. You should win.

As the child is your grandchild, you do not need any "legal custody" for any of this.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, the firm that I use, told me we would both receive a letter. He would have to return the money he collected by claiming him. But I would not. According to them, and many other material I’ve read, says he CANNOT FILE FIRST OR AT ALL! Unless the circumstances change. And they will not ever change. I wish their were criminal
charges facing him. He did this very dishonestly. This man never provides one single thing for this precious child!
Sorry to hear. All I can say is see if you can get some legal aid for child support. Best Wishes.
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group