Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I did several movie vendor events, where my clients would…

Customer Question
I did several movie vendor...
I did several movie vendor events, where my clients would purchase tickets from me and I would pay the theater and provide swag bags. The ticket purchases were done through PayPal and I received a 1099K . Under what category do I put the purchase of the theater rental and the purchase for the items for the swag bags.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am an independent consultant for Pure Romance, a direct sales company I did several movie vendor events, where my clients would purchase tickets from me and I would pay the theater and provide swag bags. The ticket purchases were done through PayPal and I received a 1099K . Underwhat category do I put the purchase of the theater rental and the purchase for the items for the swag bags. Also, would it be better to separate the vendor events into a separate company? If so, how do I accurately report the income from the Pure Romance business and the event company business when I only received one 1099K
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent

For tax purposes, you can report all of your events under one entity or company if it was all one company that hosted these events. I do want to caution that the 1099-K only reports credit card transactions only. Therefore, if you collected income either via cash or check that would not be processed through a credit card merchant you are still required to report all the income you received. Also, if you did not received a 1099-K for all of your transactions you processed during the year, you are still required to report all income you received.

As for your expenses, you can list the theater under rental expense or rental-other property depending which tax form you are using. As for the "swag bags" they would be under other expenses and listed as whatever you want to call them. The most important part is you maintain records or can prove that the cost of the rental fees and the swags happened and were paid by you.

I hope this helps. Please leave a five star rating and enjoy your day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for for making that easy to understand

You are most welcome. Please remember to leave a five star rating. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent