Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am trying to complete Form 8962 for Premium Tax Credit and…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to complete Form 8962 for Premium Tax Credit and have a question about Part II Lines 12-23

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My question is concerning calculations.. if i only had market place insurance 2 months in 2017.. do i fill in “0” for the remaining lines in columns A & B?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Also do I complete the entire table’s calculations using the “0” values for the other 10months resulting in a credit for kine 24?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2018
Tax Professional: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Thank you!

Dear Customer,

"if i only had market place insurance 2 months in 2017.. do i fill in “0” for the remaining lines in columns A & B?"

Yes. Fill out this part based on the Form 1095-A you received.

"Also do I complete the entire table’s calculations using the “0” values for the other 10months resulting in a credit for kine 24? "

Yes. Follow the instruction.

Regards,

Fiona

when i do the calculations for columns E and F.. i will subtract the values from “0” to get negative numbers for the rest of the table?

Dear Customer,

E says smaller of the two. There should not be a negative number.

F says "Monthly advance payment of PTC (Form(s) 1095-A, lines 21–32,

column C)"

There should not be any calculation and should not have negative numbers.

Regards,

Fiona

Ok thanks..
In Part IV allocations section..
im not sure of how to complete this..
Line 30 g, f, e? With my situation i had marketplace insurance January and February then Medicare for remainder of 2017.. im married filing jointly

Dear Customer,

If in the two months when you had the policy and your policy included someone else, you allocate your policy [premium credit paid to you] to that person in this section. If not, you don't have to fill out.

If you got married in 2017, you can try to use part V to see whether the alternative method is more beneficial to you.

Regards,

Fiona