Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to form an LLC and register it as an S-Corp before…

I need to form...

I need to form an LLC and register it as an S-Corp before March 15th. I am a 1099 in Medical Device Salesman and will live in 2-states this year (Georgia + AZ) I work remotely and do business nationwide - it does not matter which state I live in. I don't have employees (fiance is a partner). Wonder how I should register 1.) Wyoming as one single LLC 2.)Register in Wyoming and have 2 subsidiary LLC's in GA + AZ or 3.) Register in GA and have foreign qualification in AZ

Accountant's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

It's not yet registered - I need to choose the correct way and state to register in

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet - I need direction on where to file

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/9/2018
Kelly McGlynn
Kelly McGlynn, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. Thank you for your question. I'm Kelly and am here to help you today. I am reviewing your question and will be with you shortly.

First of all, if you want to have the business be an S Corporation, you cannot set it up as an LLC. You have to set it up as a Corporation and then file form 2553 with the IRS electing S status.

does an S-Corp need to be registered in different states?

The corporation will be incorporated in one state. I would look into each state and the fees associated with incorporation. There may be a difference there. For federal purposed it should not matter what state you are incorporated in. I would pick the state that is more favorable and less expensive to incorporate in. For instance in Nevada, it's $750.

I read that you can elect to have your LLC's file taxes as an S-Corp? Is that false?

An LLC can elect S Corp status I believe. I have never personally seen that done. The LLC is less expensive to set up than a Corporation. Again, the fees would vary by state so you could choose where you would want to organize the LLC that would be most beneficial to you.

Kelly McGlynn