Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How to report start-up and organizational costs on 1120S?

3/9/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks

If the start up and organizational cost are under $5,000 each, then you would deduct the expenses in the proper category on page one of the 1120S.

Approximately what was your total start up and organizational cost?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have about 1 K in organizational and over 9 K in start up. Where exactly on first pg? I will check

Section 7- 21 are where you will find your deductions.

For example Line 11 Rents, Line 12 taxes and licenses, 16 advertising and line 19 "other deductions."

Here is a link to the 1120S for you to review.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120s.pdf

Please let me know your follow up questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, I was just wondering if I should group the expenses related to start up and organization. I see that I need to do it just like any other expenses, assigned them to proper line on 1120S. I will take start up cost over 5K and will amortize it over 180 months. Please confirm my stmt.Also, do I mick "amortizable intangible" on asset entry sheet? and how about date since costs vary?

Yes, essentially the cost are like other expenses until you exceed $5K, then those start up or organization cost need to be amortized over 180 months, as you stated.

You may total the amount of amortizable intangible assets. The start date is the date the assets were placed into service or the business started in this case.--please let me know if this answered your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you answered and confirmed!Thank you, Chad!Enjoy your day!

Thank you!

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®